Not sure why TikTok is so popular? Or what makes it different from other social media apps? Here are some answers.
With one billion yearly active people, TikTok is in the upper stratum of social media apps.
Not sure why TikTok is so popular?
A Neilsen study attempts to explain why.
Commissioned by TikTok, the study analyzes data from over-check repliers who were asked questions regarding their perception of the point’s content.
The ideal of the study is to understand what people value about TikTok. Results offer sapience into why it’s come to an artistic miracle.
Let’s dig into the data and try to figure out why a billion people are using TikTok every month.
People Say TikTok Is Authentic
People feel like they can be themselves on TikTok, which could be a contributing factor to its fashionability.
The study finds:
- 64% of the people say they can be their true characters on TikTok.
- 56% of TikTok people say they can post vids they wouldn’t post away.
- 53% of the people say they trust others to be their real characters on TikTok.
When asked how they perceive the content on TikTok, repliers described it as authentic, genuine, undressed, and trendsetting.
Those sentiments extend to advertisements on TikTok as well. Advertising on TikTok is viewed as real, unique, and fun.
People Say TikTok Makes Them Happy
TikTok content brings joy, the study finds, and who doesn’t need further of that in their lives?
A normal of 31% of TikTok people included “ lifting my spirits” as one of the top three reasons for returning to the TikTok platform again and again.
Compare that to Facebook, which has been making captions for having negative impacts on internal health.
TikTok Is Unique And Different
people feel like they can go on TikTok and see content they can’t get anywhere differently.
While they may see the same content participated across Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter — TikTok stands piecemeal as a place to discover commodity new.
The study finds:
- 79% of the people find content on TikTok to be unique or different.
- 68% of TikTok people find advertising content different from any competitive platform.
- 60% of the people internationally ( banning the US) say they follow brands on TikTok.
- 52% of the people say they search for products or shop on the platform.
- 85% of the people discover new content that they enjoy through the TikTok platform.
TikTok Is A Community
Among TikTok’s topmost strengths is the sense of community felt by its people.
That’s demonstrated by the viral challenges people take part in.
The capability to test others’ content and add to it also helps people make stronger connections.
The study finds:
- 59% people feel a sense of community when they’re on TikTok.
- 77% of the people say TikTok is a place where people can express themselves openly.
- 84% of TikTok people say they come across content to which they can relate.
- 70% of the people say TikTok is a platform they would recommend to others.
- 77% of the people say they read the commentary on the posts and vids on TikTok.
In short — TikTok people feel comfortable on the platform and are indeed agitated to engage with one another.
A common theme throughout this data is positivity. people enjoy their time on TikTok, they’re pleased by the unique content they find, and they feel safe expressing themselves with their content.
That all helps to explain why TikTok is so popular.
People indeed feel more positive toward content from businesses and brands on TikTok compared to other platforms.
That indicates businesses are taking a whole different approach to sell themselves on TikTok.
For further on TikTok marketing, see
- How to Use TikTok for B2B Marketing & Who’s Doing It Right
- 8 TikTok Power Features & Benefits for Digital Marketers
- Why Marketers Shouldn’t Underrate the Value of TikTok